The FACES (Freeman Assists Communities with Extra Support) program is designed to find and fund the smaller, overlooked projects in our neighborhoods – and our grants are limited to nonprofit organizations with operating budgets of $500,000 or less in Sussex County, DE, or $750,000 or less in Montgomery County, MD. Founded in 2000 in Delaware, FACES stands for "Freeman Assists Communities with Extra Support."
Our belief is that too often, it is the major nonprofit organizations with visibility and ample support that win donors' attention. The FACES program is designed to find and fund the smaller, overlooked projects in our neighborhoods and utilize a volunteer advisory board composed of community leaders who evaluate grant applications and recommend funding choices. The FACES advisory board provides a unique insight into community needs and priorities, and allows us to support projects that are most important to the community.
FACES Grants Eligibility criteria
Organizations eligible to apply for grants must meet the following criteria:
- Beneficiaries must be an IRS-recognized 501(c)(3) tax-exempt, nonprofit organization or public agency specifically serving the residents of our funding areas.
- Organizations applying in Montgomery County must have an operating budget of $750,000 or less.
- Organizations applying in Sussex County must have a budget of $500,000 or less.
Grants will not be distributed to
- Political associations or candidates
- Organizations that would disperse the funding to others
- Organizations that discriminate by race, creed, gender, sexual orientation, age, religion, disability or national origin
- In Montgomery County, organizations must be based in the county to be eligible for funding.
- In Sussex County, organizations must be based in the county to be eligible for funding.